2021 Garmin UNBOUND Covid-19 Guidelines
The 2020 event season is all but in our rear view mirror, and with that, we are looking forward to what 2021 will bring. We are remaining positive and hopeful for next year, but also want to do our very best to set expectations for all of us so that we CAN look forward to some fun in the Flint Hills.
This is going to be a team effort, for sure, and educating you on what the 2021 Garmin UNBOUND Gravel event may look like will help us all do a better job in having a fun, yet slightly different event. We also give you this insight so you can make the best decision for you and your family. We understand each of us has different responsibilities and you may choose to defer to 2022 works best for you.
What will Packet Pick up look like?
We will be conducting an in-person packet pick up. Checking in is vital for your safety and the effective management of UNBOUND Gravel. That means we will be taking precautionary measures to ensure the health and safety of all participants, volunteers and the UNBOUND Gravel team.
- Only riders will be invited to enter the building. Sorry family and support crews, but we need to keep the numbers to a minimum.
- Masks will be mandatory at all times throughout the PPU procedure.
- Signage will help everyone maintain a safe social distance throughout the process.
- All riders will be assigned a time window to pick up their packet, in order to distribute flow in and out of the building.
- Volunteers and staff will be screened and masked for your safety as well.
What will the Rider’s Meeting look like?
We love coming together in the beautiful Granada Theatre, it’s become a staple of our event. We are still evaluating if we can hold this in-person, but at minimum we can guarantee it will be recorded live. You will be able to tune in and watch the full meeting during or after it has been recorded.
What are you plans for the Start line?
Face coverings (buff, mask, etc.) will be required for the entire time that you are on the start line. Start waves may be implemented to reduce the number of people gathering at one time. Please know we will be monitoring the situation closely over the next several months and you can expect to hear more on start waves as we draw closer to the event.
What about on course?
Once on course, we ask that you use common sense and apply appropriate social distancing protocol when needed. For example, if you are riding closely together with a moderate to large group of people that you don’t know, we recommend you wear your mask or pull your buff up above your nose. There’s a lot of space out there, and we are relying on your common sense and our wide open spaces to help keep us all safe. Please also feel comfortable saying something to folks you may find yourself riding with – it’s ok to ask them to mask up if the situation calls for it.
What will the Check Points look like?
Check points are a vital component of the event experience, and it’s one of our favorite parts of the event. But 2021 may require extra precaution in these towns as well. This is another area that we need to take some extra precautions. Please….
- Make It Quick – We know it’s great to see friends and loved ones at a checkpoint, but this is a great reminder to get in and get out as quickly as you can. You might even just Beat The Sun or set a new PR!
- The Crew Abides – All riders and support crew folks will be required to abide by mask and social distance guidelines. That means wearing a mask any time you are outside of your car and around other people and maintaining 6 feet of separation.
- Minimize – In an effort to minimize contact with others, we ask that support crews remain inside their vehicles until their rider has entered the support zone.
- Assigned Parking Areas – As in years past, each rider will be assigned to a designated parking area, as indicated by the decal the rider receives at packet pick up. Please only enter the zone your rider is assigned to.
- Volunteer Checks – For participants using our support crew-for-hire program; know that all volunteers will be wearing masks and will have completed a temperature check and health screening prior. Water will be provided by our foot pedal operated Water Monster Hydration system.
- Crew Guide – Keep your eye out for our full Support Crew Guide to read up on all crew guidelines. We will provide tracking your athlete information in this guide as well to assist you in following their progress across the course.
Will we have a Finish Line?
Finishing your journey back in Emporia is one of the highlights of the whole weekend. It also has the potential to be packed full of people. In order to keep everyone safe, we will be enacting covid-19 specific safety measures.
- Support / Public – Sections of the finish line area will be segmented for rider support and general public. This will help us control the number of people congregating in a certain area.
- Finish Line Capacity – Number of visitors in the finish area will be limited in order to abide by local health department regulations.
- Mask Up – Social distancing protocol will be in place, which means masks on at all times while in the finish area and maintaining a distance of 6 ft between people.
- Livestream – We will aim to provide a livestream feed, so your loved ones can watch from home or other outdoor areas throughout Emporia if needed.
Will there be an Expo?
The All Things Gravel Expo has grown to be a highlight of the UNBOUND Gravel Weekend of its own right. We LOVE seeing all the different partners and industry folks showing off their “latest and greatest” as well as just another chance to socialize. We will be monitoring this closely and will take the necessary precautions to keep all parties as safe as possible.
What is your Deferral/Refund/Transfer policy?
One thing we have all learned from 2020 – it’s going to take all of us adjusting to be able to come together in the community spirit of UNBOUND Gravel. We want you to be aware of our fee and refund structure now, in the event you need to change your plans or in the event of a catastrophic event causing a 2021 cancelation. We hope all of this helps guide you in your deferral decision.
The Event Cancels (due to a series of reasons, including pandemic, natural disaster, etc.)
Athlete Option 1 Refund Option
- 90+ days out – 70% refund
- 60-89 days out – 50% refund
- 30-59 days out – 40% refund
No transfers! No refunds on service fees or donations
Athlete Option 2 Deferral
Complimentary, guaranteed entry into the following year’s event.
Participant Pulls Out
Athlete can defer into the following year’s event and repay 50% of entry fee at time of registration, no deferral fee.
Should athlete defer less than 2 weeks prior to the event – defer into the following year’s event and repay full entry fee, no deferral fee.
No refunds, no transfers, no exceptions.
If I decide to push my 2020 entry to 2022, will it be at no cost?
Yes, if you push your entry to 2022 you will receive an email this time next year with a link to register at no cost.
If I push my 2020 entry to 2022 and I’m not able to attend in 2022. What happens to my entry?
If you have to pull out of the event you will be subject to our new deferral/refund policy (see above).